Pages

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Honestly!

I ask, how much news and talk show time must we dedicate to the paternity of the late Ana Nicole Smith's baby? How does this subject qualify as news? Please check out the following article of Timmy Brister.....very poignant: http://timmybrister.com/2007/02/12/
go-and-sin-some-more-a-meditation-on-the-life-and-death-of-anna-nicole-smith/

As for basketball, I would love to blog about the Lakers, but they have just finished a disappointing road trip with a 3-7 win loss record for the last ten games. I hope they can beat the Knicks tonight back at the Staples Center, because I don't know if I can watch in agony as they turn the ball over as many times as they did the last time.

On another note....I was told by a friend that Daylight Saving Time will be earlier this year. I related this information to another friend who checked out my story to find it was indeed the truth. I decided to look it up for myself and came upon the following interesting content: "Since 1966, most of the US has observed Daylight Saving Time from at 2:00am on the first Sunday of April to 2:00am on the last Sunday of October. Beginning in 2007, most of the US will begin Daylight Saving Time at 2:00am on the second Sunday in March and revert to standard time on the first Sunday in November. In the US, each time zone switches at a different time.

On August 8, 2005, President George W. Bush signed the Energy Policy Act of 2005. This Act changed the time change dates for DST in the US. The Secretary of Energy will report the impact of this change to Congress. Congress retains the right to resume the 2005 DST schedule once the Department of Energy study is complete."

You may inquire.....Why, Sharon, is this so interesting? I would reply that I happen to love the long days of summer. I enjoy my pool, camping at the river, and BBQing in the backyard. So the more sunlight, the merrier for me.

One more interesting piece of information on DST for my daughter, the english teacher: "The official spelling is Daylight Saving Time, NOT Daylight Savings Time. Saving is used here as a verbal adjective (a participle). It modifies time and tells us more about its nature; namely, that it is characterized by the activity of saving daylight. It is a saving daylight kind of time. Similar examples would be a mind expanding book or a man eating tiger. Saving is used in the same way as saving a ball game, rather than as a savings account. Nevertheless, many people feel the word savings (with an 's') flows more mellifluously off the tongue. Daylight Savings Time is also in common usage, and can be found in dictionaries. Adding to the confusion is that the phrase Daylight Saving Time is inaccurate, since no daylight is actually saved. Daylight Shifting Time would be better, but it is not as politically desirable."

I know we all will sleep better knowing these facts.

Lastly, here is the safety reminder: "Many fire departments encourage people to change the battery in the smoke detector when they change their clocks because DST provides a convenient reminder. 'A working smoke detector more than doubles a person's chances of surviving a home fire,' says William McNabb of the Troy Fire Dept in Michigan. More than 90 percent of homes in the US have smoke detectors, but one-third are estimated to have dead or missing batteries"

OK, I'm out

2 comments:

Lauren Michelle said...

What are you TALKING about?

Shar said...

Please allow me the liberty of random expression now and then... :D