Pages

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

In the End, I Want to be Standing at the Beginning with You

Warning: This blog may get mushy.....leave now if you aren't sentimental!
The first time I laid eyes on "HIM" was when our churches combined for a weekend youth retreat at Seal Beach. Tall, Dark, Handsome, and a million-dollar smile. My heart skipped several beats! I was too young to date, but when our churches merged.....we began to hang out with the same group of friends.
We attended high schools that were cross town rivals. He played on the basketball team, sang with the choir, was a drummer, and marched in Drum and Bugle Corps. I sang in choir, and marched in the Scarlet Chevalier Drill Team. That must be why we enjoy parades : ) We dated for a short time during high school, but discovered that we were in different places in our spiritual journeys....so broke it off. Paul graduated and began college courses at Fullerton Jr. College, I was a senior when we attended bible study at our dear friends, Jim and Nita Wyatt's home. Jim and Nita had been my mentors for a few years, discipling me in my christian walk and letting me stay at their home on many occasions. I babysat their 3 year old twin sons, Gary and Daron. It was when Paul had asked God to show him who was the one for him, that he looked up and saw me in my white angora sweater. (yeah, it was the classic line: God told me we should be together ). We began dating the summer I graduated from HS. There were many activities that Paul and his family enjoyed that I hadn't experienced. Fishing was one. Yes, He has always had a passion for fishing. Camping was another activity his family enjoyed. I went to Yosemite with his family more than a few times. I began my freshman year at Biola College and we continued to date. I lived in the dorm at Biola, but spent every weekend home. We dreamed and planned our future together and on December 6, 1975, I married the love of my life! By the way, my wedding gown was worn originally by my mother in law when she married my father in law in 1947. It was an ivory colored, heavy-weight satin. Bea was very thrilled to have me wear it and I had to add about 6 inches of lace to make it long enough. Shortly after we were married, we bought our first boat and began spending lots of time taking trips to the Colorado River. Not long after that, we bought a truck and besides using it to pull the boat, we enjoyed driving it out to the desert to 4 wheel the hills and dunes. In 1977, we bought our first home. A new home in Ontario for $45,000.00! It was around 1400 sq. ft. and had a big diamond shaped backyard because it was in the "corner" of a cul-de-sac. The picture is of me looking out the kitchen window. The bridesmaid photo was taken at my best friend's wedding and that was the day we picked up our first puppy. A black and white springer spaniel that we named Jasper.
From 1980 to 1985 we had our family. Three beautiful children: Lauren, Jared, and Alexander. Our family fit right into our activities. They grew up going to the river, desert, and wherever we decided to travel. God has greatly blessed our years together and for that we are extremely grateful. The last two photos are from our recent trip to Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks. Thirty-One years of steadfast love for God and each other! Happy Anniversary my Love!

2 comments:

Shar said...

Great job my love Happy anniversary and may we still be blogging in 31 more.

lya td&h..

Lauren Michelle said...

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
Thank you for being an exemplary role model for us children. I love you two so much and I pray God continues to knit your hearts tighter together in love.